Sunday, September 12, 2010

Today is Grandparent's Day

          When I was still working in Angeles City, I used to attend the Sunday mass in SM City Clark after my shift. I can still remember that there was one Sunday when almost all people who attended the mass were at least aged 50 and above. I wondered why when I arrived. Then I saw a huge tarpaulin that says: Happy Grandparent's Day!!! I never knew that there is a holiday called Grandparents day and it is actually celebrated anywhere in the world.

          Even if I lived away from my family, I can still rememember my grandparents and their influences to us. Like my Spanish mestizo grandfather - my Lolo Paulo (my father's dad), he's a very dominant person. We'd know if he's already angry because his face will turn all red and starts to speak in Spanish language with an angry voice.Yes, we get scared most of the time but he was a sweet grandfather to us. We also grew up with strong faith in God because of him. He would always gather us in front of the altar every 6pm and pray the Angelus or the holy rosary before bed time and ask everyone in the family go to church together every Sunday. That's one thing I'm very thankful for.

           My Lola Beatriz (my father's mom) was a great role model in our family. She is a woman full of patience and kindness. A very loving person indeed. My cousins would always tell me that I look exactly like my grandmother but with my lolo's nose. Thanks to good genes.

            My other grandparents (my mom's parents) live very far from us so we (siblings) never had a close relationship with them. We only see each other during family reunions or weddings. But I can always remember how good and hard working they are. I never heard any unwanted stories about them. I was even there when they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. I know that these days only very few couple could last up to 50 years of their marriage so that was really something.

             That is grandparent's day for me. I tried to remember the memories I had with my late grandparents and their influences to our family especially to me because they're part of my existence. I am so grateful that I have grandparents like them. So even though I don't celebrate this holiday with them or with my family, the good old memories will always remain in my mind and in my heart. How about you? How do you celebrate grandparent's day?


I still keep this photo with my Lolo Paulo and Lola Beatriz...that's me in front eating peanuts with my cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!