Wednesday, May 8, 2019

NatGeo Run 2019


A run for the world’s oceans.

The 10th Earth Day Run is aimed at raising awareness of plastic pollution and reducing the amount of single-use plastics that enter the world’s oceans.

I only did 5km run twice as training since I was also busy preparing for my graduation at LPU. I knew it wasn't enough but at the same time I really felt ready to unlock my first 10km run ever.

I didn’t even have a target time as I'd like it to be just steady and smooth run. My only aim is to reach the finish line injury-free.


I've walked through the crowd so I can be in the first line of runners as I always do in my previous races. I feel that there's quiet an advantage in doing so and I've read from an article that this can help amateur runners to be more relaxed. A few minutes before the gun start, the host reminded everyone to enjoy the race, push harder in last few miles and imagine oneself crossing that finish line. Every time I feel the cramps in my feet, his words of encouragement would crossed my mind and yes, I keep on imagining that I'll be crossing that finish line with a victorious smile.

It feels great running in a route that's not new to me at all. I tried not to glance at my Fitbit so I won't panic and just run, walk and breath as much as I could. It was already at km7 when I started to feel the pain in my right foot but I've somehow managed to take another km. After 3 water breaks and a series of leg cramps in the last 2 miles, I've crossed the finish line approximately an hour and 10 minutes before the official cut off time,



My Fitbit Charge 2:

14 Apr, 04:30    Run  10.39 kilometers    1:23:44 - Missed to stop the timer at the finish line. I was already refilling my water bottle when I noticed it.

Official time from Runrio:

Rank   Bib No.      Gun Time   Chip Time
565     12835         01:21:28     01:20:53

The result isn't bad at all as there were more than 15,000 runners or shall I say eco warriors who pledged and joined the campaign.

No single-use plastics were allowed at the event and they urged all runners to use the reusable water bottles included in every race kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!